Your marketing skills are vital to the lifeline of your firm. Every day you further your company’s growth by identifying new project opportunities, developing business relationships, and getting your company’s name in front of prospective clients. That’s your job as a professional services marketer. SMPS, the recognized leader in education and information for marketing professional services, offers a credential that recognizes the marketing expertise you have achieved: Certified Professional Services Marketer (CPSM).
If you are interested in:
- Creating or joining a study group
- Talking to someone who already has their certification
- Getting involved in a study guide/book sharing program
Please contact Bridget Slack at firstname.lastname@example.org or 262-879-2562.
To sit for the exam, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree or an advanced degree plus four years of experience in marketing or business development for firms providing professional services, or
- Possess an associates degree plus six years of experience in marketing or business development for firms providing professional services, or
- Without a degree, have eight years of experience in marketing or business development for firms providing professional services.
Preparing for the exam
The first step in preparing for the examination is acquisition of the relevant study materials, including:
- Suggested Reading Materials, which can be purchased from the SMPS Bookstore or borrowed from the SMPS Wisconsin Chapter.
- Study Guide as published by SMPS National.
CPSM study group
The purpose of the CPSM Study Group is to connect members of SMPS Wisconsin who are studying for the CPSM Exam. This community will be a place for discussion while prepping for the exam as well as a resource of tools helpful in studying for the exam. To join the 2016 SMPS CPSM Exam Study Group contact Bridget Slack at email@example.com or 262-879-2562.
Taking the exam
You must submit an application a minimum of six weeks prior to your scheduled exam date. An application fee is due upon submission and it is non-refundable. All applications are processed by the SMPS National office. Please see the SMPS National page for the application, fee and submission details.
The examination consists of 150 questions that use a multiple-choice format. The total testing time is three hours with additional time allotted for instructions. There are no breaks during the exam. Candidates may not use any notes or testing aids. A passing score is 75% correct or better. The test is taken at a testing facility identified by SMPS.
Benefits of certification
A mark of distinction, achieving CPSM certification offers a wide range of benefits to you:
- Industry recognition for professional competence
- Enhanced credibility with employers, clients and peers
- Improved ability to compete in the job market
- Potential for increased compensation and benefits
- Public recognition through SMPS channels whose audience includes more than 7,000 professionals from 5,000 design and building firms, encompassing 80% of the Engineering News-Record Top 500 Design Firms and Top 400 Contractors
- Invitation to CPSM-only educational and networking events
- Access to exclusive CPSM resources and Listserve
An employer can also be assured that a CPSM on staff means that they have what it takes to generate profitable business through demonstrated proficiency in the core activities related to marketing professional services. A CPSM adds the following benefits to the firm:
- Diverse background and skills to successfully develop meaningful project opportunities for the firm
- Documented background and experience in marketing management to help plan the future growth and prosperity of the firm
- Knowledge and experience to complete projects more effectively than their peers
- Commitment to keeping abreast of the latest marketing trends
- Increased professionalism
- The bottom line: CPSMs are identified as experts – professionals who stand out from the rest of the pack. They know professional services marketing better than their peers and have turned that knowledge into results.
Maintaining the Credential
Upon receipt of your credential, a CPSM is expected to adhere to a Code of Ethics, which recognizes an individual’s integrity and obligation to maintain high standards of professional behavior, as well as the responsibility to promote the same standards within our industry.
To maintain certification, a CPSM must accumulate a minimum of 50 continuing education units (CEUs) over a three-year period. CEUs for certification may be accumulated in a variety of ways, through SMPS or other related professional associations. A CPSM that is active within SMPS and their local community will have no difficulty achieving recertification.
Visit the SMPS National website for additional information on certification or contact SMPS National Certification Program Manager Kevin Doyle at 800-292-7677.